ISFiC WRITERS 2016 CONTEST RULES
Just follow the rules below and send in your story(ies) by Sept. 2, 2016.
ISFiC, Inc. is the parent organization behind Chicagoland’s oldest science fiction convention, Windycon. “ISFiC” stands for “Illinois Science Fiction in Chicago” and our mission is to promote Science Fiction Fandom and Literacy in Chicago and the Midwest.
To help promote and encourage new authors, we sponsor an annual competition for unpublished writers of science fiction and fantasy. The award is presented at Windycon and the winning story is printed in the Windycon program book. The name of the winner and title of the winning story will be added to our list on the ISFiC web site.
The contest was started in 1986, and since then, many winners have gone on to become successful published authors. We look forward to reading the many submissions from new authors starting out on their writing careers!
If you have any questions about the ISFiC Writers Contest, feel free to email us at email@example.com.
- Windycon 43 Membership
- Double Room for Windycon 43
- The winning story will be included in the Windycon 43 program book and archived on the ISFiC Website.
Honorable Mentions (Up to 2)
- American 1 oz. Silver Coin
- The submission must be a science fiction or fantasy short story of no more than 7,500 words.
- Each entrant must have attended Windycon 42, registered for Windycon 43, or be a resident of Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan, or Wisconsin.
- The entrant must not have received payment for any previously published or accepted work of fiction by any source.
- The ISFiC Writers Contest is open to all ages. If you are under 18, please include a letter from a parent or guardian indicating approval to participate.
- ISFiC reserves the right to cancel this contest for any reason prior to the awarding of prizes.
- Manuscripts must be received by September 2nd, 2016.
- The winner will be notified in mid-October.
HOW SHOULD I FORMAT MY ENTRY?
- Entries must be typed and double-spaced.
- Please number the pages.
- Each entry must have a cover page with the title of the work, the author’s name, address, and phone number, and the approximate word count.
- Please be sure that your name appears only on the cover page. Since most entries are from Windycon attendees, this reduces the chance that a writer’s name will be recognized and perhaps accrue an unfair advantage.
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY ENTRY?
You can submit your entry one of three ways.
- You can email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org. IBM or Mac format is fine, but the file must be provided to ISFiC in RTF format so it can be published in the event you are the winner.
- You can mail a CD-Rom or USB Drive to the address listed below. Each entry must be accompanied by a self-addressed envelope suited for return of the CD-Rom or USB Drive. Entries not accompanied by an adequately stamped SASE will not be returned.
- You can mail a printout to
ISFiC Writers Contest
c/o Marcy Lyn-Waitsman
6142 N. California Ave. #405
Chicago IL 60659
(Yes, I moved)
Each entry may be accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope suitable for return of the manuscript. Entries not accompanied by an adequately stamped SASE will not be returned.
- Do I have to live in Illinois to enter?
No. You can be a resident of Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio, Michigan, or Wisconsin. If you do not live in one of these states, you can enter if you were registered with Windycon 41, or are registered with Windycon 42.
- Do I have to be registered with Windycon to enter?
No. If you live in one of the states mentioned above, you can enter without registering for the convention.
- Does my story have to be 7,500 words long?
No. That is just the maximum word count allowed. As long as it is no more than 7,500 words, your story can be as long or short as you would like it to be.
- Does my story have to be Science Fiction or Fantasy?
Yes. ISFiC stands for Illinois Science Fiction in Chicago. Our mission is to promote Science Fiction Fandom and Literacy in Chicago and the Midwest. However, Science Fiction and Fantasy are very broad categories, from classic Space Operas, to modern Urban Fantasy. We encourage you to stretch your imagination!
- Does my story have to tie in to this year’s convention theme?
No. Feel free to submit a Science Fiction or Fantasy story on any topic.
- Can my story include adult content?
Please keep any content to PG-13 or safer. The winning story is printed in the Windycon Program Book, and we are a family friendly event.
- Can I submit more than one story?
Yes! We will happily take as many submissions as you would like to send us.
- My fiction has been published in a blog/school newsletter/fanzine. Am I still eligible?
Yes, as long as you have not received payment for your stories.
- I have previously won a cash award for a work of fiction. Am I still eligible?
Yes. For purposes of this contest, ISFiC does not consider cash awards as payment.
- I have self-published works of fiction. Am I still eligible?
If you have received payment for your self-published works, you are not eligible for this contest.
- I have been paid for works of non-fiction. Am I still eligible?
Yes. To enter, you must not have previously received payment for the publication of fiction.
- I am still in Grammar School/High School. Can I enter?
Yes. We encourage writing no matter what your age is. However, if you are under 18, please include a letter from a parent or guardian indicating approval to participate.
- If I win, who owns the rights to my story?
You do. By submitting a story to our contest, you give us the right to print your story In the Windycon 42 Program Book, if it is chosen as the winning story. The complete Windycon program book is also archived on the ISFiC website. All other rights remain with you. However, we do request that you do not publish your story elsewhere until after our convention, November 13-15, 2015.
- If I lose, who owns the rights to my story?
You do. In fact, we encourage you to submit your story to other publications.
If you have any more questions about the ISFiC Writers Contest, feel free to email us at email@example.com.